I sometimes struggle to find breakfast foods that work well for me. Since I’m a middle school teacher who has to be at school by 7:30 a.m. at the latest, I’m usually not hungry enough to eat before leaving home in the morning. But finding on-the-go breakfast foods that fit my restricted diet can be challenging. So, finding out about overnight oats a while back was a breakfast game-changer for me.
Overnight oats are easy to mix together the night before. Then, you just stick them in the fridge, go to bed, and in the morning, they have been transformed into a cohesive, delicious breakfast food. Since it’s now autumn and everything has to be pumpkin-flavored, I thought I’d share this pumpkin spice overnight oats recipe with you.
These overnight oats basically taste like eating pumpkin pie in the morning. And you’re rocking several food groups, which is hard to beat. Enjoy them warm or cold with a cup of coffee.
- ½ cup gluten-free oats
- ⅔ cup coconut milk
- ¼ cup canned pumpkin
- 1½ tsp vanilla extract
- ¾ tsp pumpkin spice
- a dash of cinnamon (There’s cinnamon in pumpkin pie spice, but I just love it and think these oats deserve more.)
- In a small bowl, mix the oats, coconut milk, pumpkin together, and vanilla extract until thoroughly combined.
- Add the pumpkin spice and cinnamon. Stir again.
- Pour into a small glass jar with room for expansion. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- In the morning, remove from the fridge. You may eat the pumpkin spice overnight oats cold, or remove the cover to microwave for 30 seconds. Enjoy!
Let me know if you try these overnight oats in the comments below. What other breakfast foods are tried and true favorites for you?